Written by Veneta
Friday, 26 August 2011 18:38
Having information about calories in food is powerful way for body weight management and overall health. The simple rule is: calorie in, calorie out.
We need to maintain balanced calorie intake during any stage of our life – childhood, teenage years, adulthood, during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It’s important to know that the intake of calories depends on gender, lifestyle and age.
There are two essential keys I would like to underline: the needed nutrients with high nutritional value and the number of calories taken daily.
We have three sources of calories in food – Carbohydrates, protein and fats.
- Carbohydrates are the main source of calories for most Americans. Carbs supply 4 calories per gram.
- Protein gives 4 calories per gram.
- Fats provide 9 calories per gram.
Here is an interesting fact: Alcohol provides 7 calories per gram. Also, it’s very common habit the consumption of alcohol with other beverages which adds more calories.
- Subsume the total calorie intake per day – Eating the proper daily amount of calories will give you a big positive impact over your health and full control over your body weight.
- Watch food intake – Read the labels of drinks and food you buy. Helps you prevent from diseases and get right with your weight loss plan.
- For children – Make sure they don’t drink sugary juices. Better choice are100% natural fruit and vegetable based juices.
- Adults – Monitor the alcohol intake. You will be surprised to know that alcohol could give you greater amount of calories comparing to a simple bowl of soup plus a slice of bread and an egg.
- Choose smaller plate and smaller portions to avoid excessive eating. Restaurants got the tendency to serve big meals due competition. Share your meal or just take the rest of the meal back home.
- Have low-calorie food and drinks – Very often a full plate of meal has fewer calories than a sandwich or Coca Cola.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast – Breakfast is necessary for those who are aiming weight loss. It’s a mistake skipping breakfast, especially for the growing body of the children and the teenagers. Very often this is the main reason for weight gaining and important for body weight maintenance.
- Minimize the time spent in front of the TV or in front of the computer. The time we spend in front of the screen should be reduced to up to 2 hours per day. Another problem is the habits to eat while watching TV. It destructs the enzymes for proper digestion and also you can’t actually monitor the recommended daily calorie intake which leads to overeating.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 January 2013 23:32